Cook1 hr 20 mins
A delicious hassle-free breakfast casserole! I love to serve this to my overnight guests, at Easter or anytime. Easily assembled the night before and refrigerated overnight, then popped into the oven in the morning! Some optional add-ins are cubed ham or breakfast sausage, and broccoli or bell peppers. Serve with fresh fruit and coffee or tea, add sides of warm scrambled eggs and toasted bagels with cream-cheese and fresh strawberry preserves, if desired, to round out the meal. Enjoy! Adapted from Southern Living.
- 1 (32 ounce) package frozen southern style hash brown potatoes (I use Ore Ida Southern Style Hash Browns)
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed ham (or cooked breakfast sausage) (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked broccoli florets (or green bell pepper) (optional)
- 2 cups crushed corn flakes cereal (or breadcrumbs)
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- Stir together first 6 ingredients (plus the meat and veggies, if using) in a large bowl.
- Spoon potato mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with crushed cornflakes, and drizzle evenly with butter. Bake immediately, or cover & refrigerate overnight and bake in the morning.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until bubbly.