Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Awesome side dish or wrapped in a pita for a vegetarian meal.
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges approx 1/2 cup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 green onions, cut into 1 inch pieces approx 1/2 cup
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- In a large skillet cook and stir onion wedges in hot butter and olive oil over medium heat about 4 mins.
- or until tender but not brown.
- Stir in green onions, hoisin sauce, and paprika.
- Add corn, beans, celery and red sweet pepper.
- Cook and stir until heated through.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
Always looking for an excuse to use hoisin sauce in a vegetarian recipe. This was quite good as the hoisin mixed well with the beans. I cut back on the butter and oil and used a non-stick frying pan. My favorite brand of hoisin sauce is Lee Kum Kee brand, I've found that it's the best by far. Wrapped the leftovers in a small flour tortilla (good substitute for pancakes served at chinese restaurants, if you can't find any at the store) and had for lunch the next day. Thanks for a terrific recipe!
I had this dish at a friend's house last night for dinner and it was wonderful! I could have made a meal from just this one great tasting recipe. It is in my cookbook - Thanks HopeK
I took some liberties with this and added some extra "East" stuff. I added 5 spice powder, soaked chinese mushrooms, soy, fish sauce and some oyster sauce. I thought it was excellent. To add to the fusion aspect, I used tortilla with extra hot sauce as the "wrapping". Thanks HopeG