Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
This recipe is posted in response to a request. Recipe Courtesy of Ming Tsai from www.foodtv.com I haven't tried it personally, but it looks really yum! It was suggested that this cake be served with this wine : Bonny Doon Muscat Vin de Glaciere.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup minced candied ginger (may substitute with 2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger plus 1 tablespoon sugar)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour, mix (1 to 1 cake and all purpose flours)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- mint leaf (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixer, whisk together sugar, egg, oil, molasses and ginger.
- While mixer is running, add water.
- In a large bowl mix flours, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and black pepper.
- With a large rubber spatula gently fold-in the contents of the mixer with the dry ingredients.
- Fill rings, ramekins or dish.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 300 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, or until test poker comes out clean.
- For cardamom cream: Add everything to an electric mixing bowl equipped with a whip.
- Whisk on medium-high stiff peaks form.
- For Plating: Place a small dollop of cardamom cream in the middle of a plate, this is to anchor the cake.
- Unmold the spice cake and place it on top of the cream.
- Put a dollop of cream on top of the cake and place a mint leaf in the cream.