Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Attributed to Avis Walker of Saint Christopher's Episcopal Church, Houston, Texas
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place skillet in oven while it is.
- heating. The skillet must be hot before batter is.
- In large mixing bowl, beat buttermilk and egg, then.
- sift in dry ingredients, Mix well. From hot skillet,.
- pour l/2 grease and mix well. Pour batter into skillet.
- with remaining grease. This makes a crisp crust, Bake.
- at 400 degrees F for approximateLy 30 minutes.
- I make this gluten free and vegan and it turns out wonderfully!