1/1 Photo of East Indian Vegetable Samosa Pastries
The Spice Guru's Note:
My recipe for turnover-style vegetable samosas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
EASY HOMEMADE PASTRY
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable bouillon granules or 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil or 3/4 cup light olive oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 egg yolk
- olive oil, to baste before baking
VEGETABLE SAMOSA FILLING
- 2 lbs peeled boiled potatoes
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup thawed frozen peas
- 2 diced seeded anaheim chilies
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste (or 1/2 teaspoon each)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted cumin seed
- 1PEEL potatoes; CUT into quarters and cook until tender in gently boiling salted water; DRAIN; MASH potatoes coarsely in a large bowl; ADD 1 cup finely chopped onion, 3/4 cup thawed frozen peas, 2 diced seeded anaheim chilies, 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro and 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint.
- 2TOAST 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds in a skillet over medium heat, until seeds become aromatic and lightly pop; ADD to the other ingredients in large bowl; WHISK together the remaining spices in a cup or smaller bowl: 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or 2 tablespoons lime juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 teaspoons ground coriander, 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste (or 1/2 teaspoon each) and 1 1/4 teaspoons fine sea salt; POUR over ingredients in bowl; STIR mixture gently until mixture is thoroughly combined.
- 3MEASURE all of the EASY HOMEMADE PASTRY ingredients into large bowl of a food processor; PROCESS ingredients for one minute or until the dough forms into a ball.
- 4PLACE the dough onto clean smooth surface sprinkled with flour; ROLL into a sheet of dough between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick; SPRINKLE with flour to prevent rolling pin from sticking if needed.
- 5CUT dough sheet into circles by pressing a large drinking glass over dough, re-rolling scraps if needed; REPEAT process until all dough is used.
- 6PLACE oven rack to center position; PREHEAT oven to 400°F.
- 7SPOON about 1 tablespoon VEGETABLE SAMOSA FILLING on one half of each pastry circle, leaving a 1/2-inch border (add just enough filling without overstuffing); FOLD each pastry circle over in half to form a turnover; PRESS round edge of turnovers gently with a fork (if you have leftover filling, you may serve this as a tasty Indian potato salad later!).
- 8LIFT turnovers with a metal spatula; arrange on greased cookie sheet; BRUSH with olive oil.
- 9BAKE turnovers 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- 10SERVE with Major Grey chutney or mint chutney and enjoy!
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for East Indian Vegetable Samosa Pastries
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 325.2
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 14.7 mg
- Sodium 262.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 5.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetable bouillon granules