Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
My recipe for turnover-style vegetable samosas.
Make and share this East Indian Vegetable Samosa Pastries recipe from Food.com.
EASY HOMEMADE PASTRY
- 2 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable bouillon granules or 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil or 3⁄4 cup light olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 egg yolk
- olive oil, to baste before baking
VEGETABLE SAMOSA FILLING
- 2 lbs peeled boiled potatoes
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup thawed frozen peas
- 2 diced seeded anaheim chilies
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced of fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste (or 1/2 teaspoon each)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon toasted cumin seed
- PEEL potatoes; CUT into quarters and cook until tender in gently boiling salted water; DRAIN; MASH potatoes coarsely in a large bowl; ADD 1 cup finely chopped onion, 3/4 cup thawed frozen peas, 2 diced seeded anaheim chilies, 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro and 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint.
- TOAST 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds in a skillet over medium heat, until seeds become aromatic and lightly pop; ADD to the other ingredients in large bowl; WHISK together the remaining spices in a cup or smaller bowl: 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or 2 tablespoons lime juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 teaspoons ground coriander, 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste (or 1/2 teaspoon each) and 1 1/4 teaspoons fine sea salt; POUR over ingredients in bowl; STIR mixture gently until mixture is thoroughly combined.
- MEASURE all of the EASY HOMEMADE PASTRY ingredients into large bowl of a food processor; PROCESS ingredients for one minute or until the dough forms into a ball.
- PLACE the dough onto clean smooth surface sprinkled with flour; ROLL into a sheet of dough between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick; SPRINKLE with flour to prevent rolling pin from sticking if needed.
- CUT dough sheet into circles by pressing a large drinking glass over dough, re-rolling scraps if needed; REPEAT process until all dough is used.
- PLACE oven rack to center position; PREHEAT oven to 400°F.
- SPOON about 1 tablespoon VEGETABLE SAMOSA FILLING on one half of each pastry circle, leaving a 1/2-inch border (add just enough filling without overstuffing); FOLD each pastry circle over in half to form a turnover; PRESS round edge of turnovers gently with a fork (if you have leftover filling, you may serve this as a tasty Indian potato salad later!).
- LIFT turnovers with a metal spatula; arrange on greased cookie sheet; BRUSH with olive oil.
- BAKE turnovers 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- SERVE with Major Grey chutney or mint chutney and enjoy!
om my jesus!! I've never had better!
Excellent samosa! These are better than the ones I have had in restaurants.