A good side dish to accompany curries. From the Taste of Home Cookbook, submitted by Marilyn Rodriquez, who received it from an Indian friend. Try using Basmati rice if you can find it.
- Combine peas and 4 cups water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until peas are tender, about 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile chop onion.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet and saute bay leaf until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Add onion and saute until tender.
- Meanwhile drain peas and keep warm.
- Add the seasonings (cinnamon-turmeric) to the onions and saute an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the rice and cook while stirring for 3 minutes.
- Add the broth and remaining 3/4 cup of water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add peas and heat through.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.