Recipe by COOKGIRl
From jacobsfarm.com. There weren't enough russet potatoes on hand in our pantry and I went ahead and substituted a few Yukon Golds. The turmeric was my addition. I'm confident that with a few simple modifications, this salad could be served cold in summertime. Will test!
Top Review by JustJanS
This was great thanks Cookgirl. It looks like it has a heap of ingredients, but it comes together really quickly and is ever so simple to make. I used two chilies and left the seeds in as we like it hot. I made this and let it cool to room temperature to serve-it was fantastic as a salad. The golden raisins were a nice touch with the spice, heat, herbs and lemon.
- 118.29 ml raisins (golden raisins if available. I used a mix of flame and golden raisins and currants)
- 5 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 14.79 ml olive oil or 14.79 ml ghee
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced
- 2-3 green chili peppers, seeded, membrane removed and minced (I used only one chili pepper. Depends on how spicy you want the dish.)
- 9.85 ml fresh ginger, grated
- 4.92 ml turmeric, approximately (I was fortunate to have fresh turmeric on hand for this recipe)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 9.85 ml fennel seeds
- 7.39 ml cumin seeds
- 9.85 ml lemon juice
- 4.92 ml ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 29.58-44.37 ml fresh spearmint, minced (fresh only!)
- lemon wedge
- 29.58-44.37 ml fresh cilantro (fresh only!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak raisins in 1 cup very hot water for 10 minutes until plump. Drain and set aside.
- Cook the potatoes in a large pot of salted boiling water for 10-12 minutes or *just* until fork tender. Do not overcook.
- Drain potatoes and set aside.
- Heat olive oil or ghee over medium heat in large saute pan.
- Add the red onions, drained raisins, chili peppers, ginger, turmeric, garlic, cumin seeds and fennel seeds. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the potatoes and most of the spearmint (saving the remaining spearmint for garnish.) Stir to coat the potatoes.
- Toss with lemon juice; season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a serving bowl or platter and garnish with lemon wedges and fresh cilantro.