1/1 Photo of East Indian-Inspired Potatoes With Mint
From jacobsfarm.com. There weren't enough russet potatoes on hand in our pantry and I went ahead and substituted a few Yukon Golds. The turmeric was my addition. I'm confident that with a few simple modifications, this salad could be served cold in summertime. Will test!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 118.29 ml raisins (golden raisins if available. I used a mix of flame and golden raisins and currants)
- 5 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 14.79 ml olive oil or 14.79 ml ghee
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced
- 2-3 green chili peppers, seeded, membrane removed and minced (I used only one chili pepper. Depends on how spicy you want the dish.)
- 9.85 ml fresh ginger, grated
- 4.92 ml turmeric, approximately (I was fortunate to have fresh turmeric on hand for this recipe)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 9.85 ml fennel seeds
- 7.39 ml cumin seeds
- 9.85 ml lemon juice
- 4.92 ml ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 29.58-44.37 ml fresh spearmint, minced (fresh only!)
- 1Soak raisins in 1 cup very hot water for 10 minutes until plump. Drain and set aside.
- 2Cook the potatoes in a large pot of salted boiling water for 10-12 minutes or *just* until fork tender. Do not overcook.
- 3Drain potatoes and set aside.
- 4Heat olive oil or ghee over medium heat in large saute pan.
- 5Add the red onions, drained raisins, chili peppers, ginger, turmeric, garlic, cumin seeds and fennel seeds. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Stir in the potatoes and most of the spearmint (saving the remaining spearmint for garnish.) Stir to coat the potatoes.
- 7Toss with lemon juice; season with salt and pepper.
- 8Transfer to a serving bowl or platter and garnish with lemon wedges and fresh cilantro.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for East Indian-Inspired Potatoes With Mint
Serving Size: 1 (348 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 323.8
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 24.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 15.2 g
- Protein 7.3 g