From Barefoot Contessa, Family Style
Make and share this East Hampton Clam Chowder - Ina Garten recipe from Food.com.
- 12 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 2 cups celery, medium diced
- 2 cups carrots, medium diced
- 2 cups boiled potatoes, peeled and medium diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups clam juice
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups fresh clams, chopped
- Melt 4 Tbs butter in a large stock-pot. Add the onions and cook for 10 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the celery, carrots, potatoes, thyme, salt and pepper and saute for 10 more minutes.
- Add the clam juice, bring to boil and simmer uncovered until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- In a small pot melt remaining butter and whisk in flour. Cook over low heat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in a cup of the hot clam juice and then pour the mixture back into the cooked vegetables. Simmer for a few minutes until the broth is thickened.
- Add the milk and clams and heat gently for a few minutes to cook the clams. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve hot.