1/1 Photo of East Hampton Clam Chowder - Ina Garten
From Barefoot Contessa, Family Style
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 2 cups celery, medium diced
- 2 cups carrots, medium diced
- 2 cups boiled potatoes, peeled and medium diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups clam juice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups fresh clams, chopped
- 1Melt 4 Tbs butter in a large stock-pot. Add the onions and cook for 10 minutes or until translucent.
- 2Add the celery, carrots, potatoes, thyme, salt and pepper and saute for 10 more minutes.
- 3Add the clam juice, bring to boil and simmer uncovered until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- 4In a small pot melt remaining butter and whisk in flour. Cook over low heat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 5Whisk in a cup of the hot clam juice and then pour the mixture back into the cooked vegetables. Simmer for a few minutes until the broth is thickened.
- 6Add the milk and clams and heat gently for a few minutes to cook the clams. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for East Hampton Clam Chowder - Ina Garten
Serving Size: 1 (372 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 519.4
- Calories from Fat 248
- Total Fat 27.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.7 g
- Cholesterol 106.5 mg
- Sodium 1568.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 23.2 g