Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A delicious recipe that goes perfectly with pasta and tomato sauce, with green peas sautee, or just as a simple appetizer when you need to entertain a big bunch of people - just stick some toothpicks in them on a tray.
- 500 g ground pork
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 1 large potato, grated
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 slices white Italian bread (no sugar)
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- mild paprika
- 75 ml sunflower oil
- (you will need more than those 75ml oil. Those 75ml are about the quantity that gets absorbed in the process and therefore will be part of the nutrition info).
- Soak the bread in water (or milk) and the crush it into small crumbs.
- Mix together in a big bowl, by hand: the meat, the onion, the potato, the garlic, the bread and the egg (raw).
- Add salt and pepper to taste then add 2 teaspoons of paprika.
- Mix until homogenous.
- Oil hands and make small balls out of the meat mix (about 2. 5-3cm (1") in diameter).
- In a big cast-iron pan, pour sunflower oil to cover the pan bottom about 1cm (1/2") and heat it on medium high heat (level 6).
- When hot, roll the meatballs one by one through the flour and place them in the pan.
- Do not overcrowd the pan, as you will need space to turn the meatballs around.
- Turn the heat lower (to level 4-5) and keep an eye on the meatballs at all times as they can burn quickly.
- When they get a bit golden, turn them around.
- You will have to turn them at least 2 times until they are done (it will take about 15-20 minutes for one round).
- When done, they will have a light brown colour and they will be done on the inside too (you have to try them).