Recipe by Johnney
Three foot of snow, windows frosted up and a wind chill factor of -10 and the fires crackin' in the fireplace, Your family will welcome this dish this evening. I know I did! Let me know if they did by rating it.
- 1 -2 lb round steak
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 -4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine or 2 tablespoons dry red wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim all fat from steak, cut into small chunks and put aside.
- Use cusinart or chop onion and garlic into tiny pieces.
- Brown the onion and garlic in two tablespoons of the olive oil in a heavy skillet.
- Remove from pan and put steak in and turn heat up high and brown steak well.
- Remove steak from pan and add the wine or Sherry and.
- boil down to evaporate, add water and scrape the pan to get the brown bits removed and mixed well with the water.
- Add the steak and browned onion/garlic.
- Add 1/2 to full can of the tomato sauce depending on.
- your taste, if steak isn't covered with the liquid, add more water.
- Let simmer for 3 to 4 hours, (adding water if too much evaporates) and keep a cover on the skillet, but leave it slightly cracked to allow steam to escape.
- One hour into the cooking, remove one cup of liquid and reserve for later use.
- Check the steak occasionaly till very tender, then add.
- mushrooms and pepper strips to mixture and let it cook till they are tender/crisp.
- At this time add the last two ingredients mix 4 tablespoons of corn- starch with the reserved liquid (which. should have cooled by this time) and slowly add this mixture to the pepper steak to thicken the dish and cook at least (bubbling) 10 minute.
- Serve over cooked rice.