East African Eggplant Stew
- Heat the oil in a large pan. cook the onions until soft and golden. Add the eggplant and continue cooking.
- Add the potatoes. Cook on high heat for several minutes until the eggplant starts to soften, lose volume and shrink in size. Keep stirring to ensure even cooking.
- Add the crushed garlic to the pan along with curry powder, cayenne pepper and salt. Stir all ingredients thoroughly.
- Then add the can of tomatoes, tomatoe paste and water. Mix well.
- Turn down the heat and simer the juices to let the full flavour come out, while stirring occasionally. After about 20 minutes the mixturewill have dried out indicating it is almost ready. Using a fork, prod the potatoes and when they are very soft the dish is ready. If they are not add just the tiniest amount of water.
- Serve with rice.