1 hr 15 mins
This is a delightful East African soup. It is piquant and aromatic. I found this a few months ago, and I enjoyed it very much. I hope you do too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 lbs chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons curry powder (masala meusi- see recipe)
- 1 tablespoon peri-peri
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup grated unsweetened coconut
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced into chunky quarter peices
- 1In a large pot, brown the chicken pieces in the oil.
- 2Remove chicken, set aside, and add the onion and garlic to pot.
- 3Sauté until soft, then stir in the peri-peri, the masala meusi, and the black pepper.
- 4Fry for about 2 more minutes.
- 5Add the tomatoes, stock, chicken pieces, and coconut, bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 6When the chicken is done, add banana chunks, and simmer for about 10 more minutes.
- 7Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for East African Curried Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 (1013 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1197.0
- Calories from Fat 790
- Total Fat 87.8 g
- Saturated Fat 44.8 g
- Cholesterol 169.6 mg
- Sodium 857.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.8 g
- Sugars 21.0 g
- Protein 56.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: