Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a delightful East African soup. It is piquant and aromatic. I found this a few months ago, and I enjoyed it very much. I hope you do too!
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 lbs chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons curry powder (masala meusi- see recipe)
- 1 tablespoon peri-peri
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup grated unsweetened coconut
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced into chunky quarter peices
- In a large pot, brown the chicken pieces in the oil.
- Remove chicken, set aside, and add the onion and garlic to pot.
- Sauté until soft, then stir in the peri-peri, the masala meusi, and the black pepper.
- Fry for about 2 more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, chicken pieces, and coconut, bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- When the chicken is done, add banana chunks, and simmer for about 10 more minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy!