Recipe by Ridgely
Lets just say that if I can make this anyone can! A delicious soft wheat bread that even my kids enjoy. I got this recipe from a food storage class that I attended. The sample that I tasted gave me hope that I can make a delicious wheat bread too. Lemon juice in the recipe gives the bread a light and fine texture and gluten provides elasticity and strength and helps to retain moisture. This is an adapted recipe by a lady by the name of Jamie Rasmussen.*If you can use wheat flour that comes from "Soft White Wheat" instead of "Hard Red Wheat" the results will be a lighter color bread and an even more tender crumb.
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup gluten flour
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons instant yeast
- 2 1⁄2 cups steaming hot tap water (120° to 130°)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄3 cup honey or 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons bottled lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the first three ingredients in mixer with dough hook.
- Add water all at once and mix for one minute; cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Add salt, oil honey or sugar and lemon juice and beat for one minute or until combined.
- Add last flour, 1 cup at a time beating between each cup.
- Beat for 6 to 10 minutes until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- This makes a very soft dough.
- Preheat oven for 1 minute to lukewarm and turn off.
- Turn dough out onto oiled surface; divide and shape into loaves and place in oiled bread pans.
- Let rise in warm oven 10-15 minutes or until dough reaches top of pan (for some reason this about a half hour for me).
- Do not remove bread from oven; turn oven to 350 and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool on racks.