Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
I think keeping Apple Pie simple is best. This one is as easy as it gets and it always turns out delicious! I used my food processor slicing blade to cut up the apples. It made it so much faster and easier to do. As always, I used my Easy Vegan Spelt Pie Crust: http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Easy-Vegan-Spelt-Pie-Crust-196863 for this recipe. It makes 2-9" pie crusts.
- 5 -8 cups apples (I used Granny Smith sliced thin)
- 1⁄2 cup dry sweetener (I used Xylitol)
- 4 tablespoons white spelt flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (you can use more, it really adds to the flavor)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup cold margarine (I used earth balance)
- Preheat the oven to 425'F.
- Peel and core your apples and slice them up. Add the sugar, flour, cinnamon and lemon juice and give it a good toss to cover the apples. Set aside.
- Prepare your 2-9" crusts. Put the bottom one into the pie pan and fill it with the apple mixture. Dollop the cold margarine evenly on top of the apple mixture.
- Put the top on the pie and fold the sides under and flute.
- If you like brush the top with some soy milk and sprinkle with a little raw cane sugar.
- Bake at 425'F for 12 minutes, then turn the oven down to 350'F and bake for another 20-40 minutes.
- If the edges start to brown too much cover with tin foil.
- Once done, test for doneness. Cool on a metal wrack.
- Serve warm with a dollop of your favorite vegan topping, a slice of vegan cheddar cheese or some vegan ice cream.
- Bon Appetit!