1 hr 5 mins
With there being hundreds of different ways of making this, I found that this is the tastiest and easiest to follow. When I tried the Syrian style of Baklava I was intent on recreating it and have been addicted since. Warning: Can be addictive :) The recipe makes enough for a small/medium sized glass dish so if wanted in large quantities, just double amounts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 450 g phyllo pastry
- 200 g pistachios
- 200 g almonds
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom water
- 250 g butter
- butter, for greasing
- 1Shell 200g pistachios and blend in blender until finely chopped.
- 2Peel 200g almonds and blend in blender until finely chopped also. (almonds can be bought already peeled for convenience, or for easy peeling place in a bowl of boiling water for 10 mins, then rub handfuls together and skin should just come away).
- 3In a large bowl, mix the chopped almonds and pistachios together with 2 Tbsp caster sugar, 1 Tbsp rose water and 1 Tbsp orange blossom water.
- 4Cover and set aside.
- 5Syrup: In a large saucepan, add 300ml water until boiling.
- 6Add 400g sugar and 1 tbsp lemon juice and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
- 7Add 1 Tbsp rose water and ! tbsp orange blossom water and leave to simmer for another 10mins until sugar is dissolved.
- 8Remove from heat and allow to cool whilst preparing and cooking the Baklava.
- 9Take a medium sized glass baking dish and grease with butter.
- 10Lay 1 sheet fillo pastry on top.
- 11Melt 250g butter in a pan.
- 12Brush 1 Tbsp onto pastry (use more if needed).
- 13Layer another sheet of pastry on top then again brush with butter.
- 14Do this until 1/2 of the pastry has been used.
- 15Uncover prepared nut mixture and pour on top of the pastry layers.
- 16Layer sheet of pastry on top of the mixture and brush with butter.
- 17Repeat with the pastry and butter layers until the remaining 1/2 of the packet has been used (remember to brush top layer with butter too!).
- 18Cut diamond or square pattern into the pastry layers with a knife.
- 19Bake for 20mins at 180c.
- 20Increase temperature to 220c for 15mins until the pastry is golden brown.
- 21Once removed from oven, pour the now cooled syrup bit by bit over the top until absorbed.
- 22Allow to cool, then enjoy!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easiest Tastiest Baklava Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (1915 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 358.0
- Calories from Fat 246
- Total Fat 27.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 33.3 mg
- Sodium 295.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 7.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
orange blossom water
orange blossom water