Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is a super family meal that is quick, easy, and everyone will rave about it. Using the slow cooker/crock pot gives you time to make the sides and clean up the kitchen before the meal! We usually serve with a veggie and a starch and you can add a can of mushrooms to the gravy as well if desired. Also simply double the recipe if you are serving more people.
- 2 lbs beef chuck (I prefer a leaner piece) or 2 lbs round roast (I prefer a leaner piece)
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium beef broth
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Heat a skillet on high and sear the meat on all sides until browned (this is critical, it DOES make a difference, the roast will be dry otherwise).
- Put meat and all ingredients (except flour) into slow cooker/crock pot.
- Cook on High for 5 hours, then turn to low until ready to serve.
- About 30 minutes before serving remove meat and 1 cup liquid from cooker.
- Stir flour into the 1 cup of liquid and return it to the slow cooker to thicken the gravy.
- Trim excess fat off of roast and return to slow cooker until ready to serve.
This was good and easy to put together before going out the door in the morning. The roast was moist but it didn't have a lot of flavor to it. I shredded it and we ate it on sandwiches. I cooked mine on low for six hours.
Very easy to throw together and the roast came out very moist.
I didn't use the onion soup mix cuz I didn't want it to be salty. I added fresh musrooms and used a can of cream of mushroom with onions. Next I will add some sliced onions.This was my first time using a crockpot. My roast came out really moist. After 2 hours in crock I took a look and the roast was ready.