Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
Hands down, this is the easiest version of a delicious main dish. It suits a busy family night or dinner with good friends. Adapted from the "Ladies Home Journal 100 Great Pasta Recipes" cookbook my sister gave me. I've been making it for years! It's a little lighter on cream and vodka than most penne vodka recipes. Try it with crusty bread and a crisp, tossed salad.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup vodka
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoned pepper or 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 dash cayenne
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream or 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb penne, cooked according to package directions,drained
- Heat butter in large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Stir in vodka, seasoned or crushed red pepper, and cayenne; heat gently for two minutes.
- Carefully add tomatoes and salt.
- Increase heat to high and cook until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Lower heat, and stir in heavy cream and Parmesan cheese.
- Add the penne, and toss with sauce.
This was easy, fast, and delicious. I used margarine,a pinch of crushed red pepper, no cayenne, about 1 cup or so of half and half, and rotini pasta. I also added some Italian spice mix and a couple of sliced, cooked chicken breast. I loved this dish but sadly, the fam was not excited by it so I will probably not make again. Thanks for a yummy recipe rochsann!
This is easier than opening a jar of Ragu and tasty enough to serve to company!! I substituted about 1 cup of 1/2 and 1/2 for the cream- I like pasta a bit saucier and wanted to save calories, too. Thanks for sharing a winning recipe.
This is wonderful! I choose this recipe for the penne with pasta over the others in Recipezaar because as roshann says, it is lighter on the cream and vodka than the others. I don't think that effected the flavor at all. The 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper provides alot of heat to the 1 pound of pasta. Next time I think I will cut that down to about 1/4 teaspoon.