Recipe by zoo66
The easiest and tastiest macaroni and cheese recipe...so easy my 10 year old can make it! Also the only mac and cheese my very picky 7 year old will eat. Make sure to use extra sharp cheddar, it makes all the difference. Best of all, no need to pre-cook the noodles! Adapted from Moosewood Low Fat Favorites.
Top Review by whtbxrmom
I used all fat free or reduced fat versions. I didn't tell my family that it was a healthier version of mac and cheese, just that it wasn't Grandma's recipe. When DD tasted it, she immediately asked if I could make it again sometime. The only thing I may do differently is reduce the breadcrumbs just slightly, but that's just my preference, my family liked it just the way it is. So simple to make, healthier than typical mac and cheese, and rave reviews from my family....absolutely worth all 5 stars.
- 2 cups 1% fat cottage cheese
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (the kind in the can is fine)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place cottage cheese, buttermilk, and mustard in a mixing bowl. Using a stick blender, puree until smooth. (If you don't have a stick blender, a regular blender works fine, just pour into a bowl after it is pureed).
- Add cheddar cheese and uncooked macaroni to pureed mixture and stir until well mixed.
- Spray a 8x11 baking dish with non-stick spray, then pour mixture into dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over top of mixture in the baking pan.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until edges are nice and bubbly and top is browned.