Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Wanna make an amazing side dish for Thanksgiving without really having to work at it? Boy, do I have one for you! It's from the Betty Crocker website, and I have made it three Thanksgivings in a row now. It is a classic in our house--we can't have a Thanksgiving without it. May I suggest you double it? :)
- 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons margarine
- 16 medium green onions, sliced (1 cup)
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped (use either a yellow or an orange pepper... you'll need about 1 cup chopped)
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 (3 5/8 ounce) package instant roasted garlic mashed potatoes (2 packets)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
- Heat oven to 350°F Grease bottom and side of 1-quart casserole with shortening. In 8-inch nonstick skillet, melt 2 teaspoons butter over medium-high heat. Cook onions and bell pepper in butter 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In 2-quart saucepan, heat water, half-and-half and 1/4 cup butter to boiling; remove from heat. Stir in both packets of potatoes (and seasoning) just until moistened. Let stand about 1 minute or until liquid is absorbed. Beat with fork until smooth.
- Spoon 1 1/3 cups of the potatoes into casserole; top with half of the onion mixture and 3/4 cup of the cheese. Spoon another 1 1/3 cups potatoes over cheese; carefully spread to cover. Sprinkle evenly with remaining onion mixture. Top with remaining potatoes; carefully spread to cover. Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese.
- Bake uncovered about 30 minutes or until hot.
This has become a Thanksgiving and Christmas tradition. Its one of the few dishes that does not make to be a leftover.