Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
The secret to this easy Hollandaise Sauce is in separating the egg yolks. Remove all the egg whites, as they can thin the sauce. Also, it is best prepared in a double boiler to prevent overheating. Serve over cooked asparagus, broccoli, or broiled tomatoes.
- Cut the butter into several pieces and bring to room temperature.
- In the top of a double boiler, combine egg yolks, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Add a piece of butter.
- Cook, stirring steadily with a wooden spoon or wire whisk, over, but not touching, boiling water.
- When butter melts and sauce begins to thicken, add remaining butter, stirring constantly until melted.
- Continue cooking as sauce thickens, about 2 more minutes.
- Immediately remove from heat.
Forget it. Go with the recipe in Joy of Cooking. Same ingredients, a bit more work but well worth it. I found this recipe very disappointing.
I used this recipe in a pinch when I realized I didn't have enough hollandaise. It was good, but I thought it fell short of the real deal. I mixed it with the other hollaindaise I had and it worked out well. Thank you for helping save dinner!LOL
Oh ... My ... God. Where did you get my Grandmother's recipe?!? LOL. Thank god for those who still know what a double boiler is for!! Can I give this one 10 stars? Please?!?