Recipe by Sunkist Growers, Inc
The secret to this easy Hollandaise Sauce is in separating the egg yolks. Remove all the egg whites, as they can thin the sauce. Also, it is best prepared in a double boiler to prevent overheating. Serve over cooked asparagus, broccoli, or broiled tomatoes.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of (1-1/2 tablespoons)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash white pepper
- 3 egg yolks
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the butter into several pieces and bring to room temperature.
- In the top of a double boiler, combine egg yolks, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Add a piece of butter.
- Cook, stirring steadily with a wooden spoon or wire whisk, over, but not touching, boiling water.
- When butter melts and sauce begins to thicken, add remaining butter, stirring constantly until melted.
- Continue cooking as sauce thickens, about 2 more minutes.
- Immediately remove from heat.