Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
The prep for this salad can be done days ahead, then tossed together just before serving. It travels well and even the teenagers gobble it up.
- 8 cups prepared coleslaw mix
- 10 green onions, sliced
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced (or use prepared bag of diced cooked chicken)
- 1 (3 ounce) package Top Ramen noodles, oriental flavor
- 6 ounces slivered almonds (may be toasted)
- 6 ounces sunflower seeds (roasted, salted are very good)
- 1 cup sesame oil (or part sesame, part canola)
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- Boil chicken breasts in hot water until cooked through (about 20 minutes).
- Cool, dice, and put in a zipper bag in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Slice green onions and put in a small zipper bag in refrigerator (unless your kids don't like them and you leave them out).
- Break up the ramen noodles into small pieces.
- Combine the noodles, almonds and sunflower seeds in a zipper bag; ready for assembly.
- For dressing, combine oil, vinegar, and flavor packet from Ramen noodle package.
- Shake well to combine and store in refrigerator.
- Because I find most sesame oils very heavy, I prefer to use 1-2 tablespoons sesame oil and the rest canola oil.
- When ready to serve, combine the slaw mix and green onions, and chicken in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle noodle/ nut mixture over top.
- Shake dressing and pour over all.
- Toss entire salad well and serve.
- The chicken can be left out for use as a side dish.
- Other flavors of Top Ramen can be used for variety, but oriental is our favorite.
I really liked this recipe, and my DH, after adding soy sauce to his portion LOVED this recipe. Nice change of pace from our usual fare and tasted great on a hot summer day. Thanks, Donna!
Delicious salad! I used two oriental ramen packages in the salad and used both seasoning packets in the dressing. I also added a couple T sugar to the dressing, since I wanted it to be sweeter. This is a keeper, and I'm definitely making this again! —
This is great for tailgate parties or picnics. A wonderful take along.....easy to transport!!