Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great apple pie recipe from local newspaper adapted from Ken Headrich's "Pie"
- 1 prepared frozen pie shell
- 7 cups thinly sliced apples
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 2⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine apples, 1/3 cup sugar and lemon juice. Mix and let stand for 10 minute.
- In food processor, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Pulse to mix. Add butter over mix and pulse until mixture resembles fine crumbs.Set aside.
- Combine nutmeg, cornstarch, and remaining 1 tbl of sugar and add to apples. Mix.
- Transfer the apples into pie shell. Using your fingers, rub the flour and oat mixture until it forms large buttery crumbs. Heap topping over apples and pack down gently.(It may seem like too much topping, but continue to pack it on, completely covering apples.).
- Place pie on baking sheet to catch any drips and bake pie for 1 hr at 375°F Let cool on wire rack.