Prep 1 min
Cook 7 mins
A great alternative to traditional SOS. Lower in fat too! This is a recipie my mother used back in the 1960's using cream of mushroom soup instead of white sauce.
- 1 (2 1/2 ounce) package dried beef
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (reduced sodium works great)
- 0.5 (5 ounce) can whole milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- toasted bread (Rye is great but white is traditional)
- You may want to rinse the beef in cold water to reduce saltiness and dry in a paper towel.
- Shred the beef into small pieces and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes in butter.
- Add mushroom soup, milk and white pepper.
- Simmer for 3-4 minutes and serve over toast.
This is a great, easy recipe. I usually use Buddig Beef or another very thin cut lunchmeat and it works well. Also great for tuna!
Wow what a great version of an old classic!!! I actually had a 5 oz jar of the beef so I added it for an extra "beefy" version. We had it over biscuits and all loved the mushroom soup instead of gravy. Thanks for sharing!
I made this recipe over white toast great taste. Thanks