Recipe by Mirj
My friend Judy Montagu has a bi-weekly recipe column in the national English language paper, the Jerusalem Post. She printed this recipe in one of her recent columns, and of course I had to try it right away. It really is a delicious and easy recipe. She got the recipe from some guy called Barry Nester, who says the real person to thank is Shoshana Feldman. To any one you attribute this recipe, it's a winner!
Top Review by JustJanS
Mirj, this was just a chook-not bad, not good, just a chook. I can't imagine what the salt was supposed to do (Russell thought it was to keep the evil spirits away, and that worked). I have roasted chickens with no seasonings in or out and found this to have no diffenrent flavours to those. But what the heck, the only thing I wasted was 4 tablespoons of salt, it was worth a try ;-)
Directions See How It's Made
- Lay the chicken on its back in the middle of a square or rectangular baking pan.
- Put a tablespoonful of salt in each corner of the pan, taking care that the salt doesn't come into contact with the chicken.
- Roast at 400 degrees F (200 C) for 1 hour.
- (Don't worry about any smoke, it's supposed to be there.) After an hour, lower the temperature a little and cook for another 20-30 minutes.
- There's no need to turn the chicken over, or to baste it.