Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
This recipe originally came on a box of spaetzle, I believe. I've been making it for a long time -- it's so easy.
Top Review by **Tinkerbell**
This was a very easy recipe for a weeknight. I left the chicken in the pan & just stirred in the rest of the ingredients except the spaetzle, which I served on the side. I also added extra paprika & about 1/4 teaspoon white pepper. Thanks for posting Lorraine!
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) packagespaetzle dumplings
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 -3 lbs chicken, disjointed (or use favorite parts)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1⁄2 pint sour cream (1 cup)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare spaetzle as directed on package. I cook mine a few minutes longer as I do not like al dente.
- Drain and reserve.
- Brown onion in shortening.
- Add seasonings and chicken and brown ten minutes.
- Add water.
- Cover and simmer slowly until tender.
- Remove chicken and keep warm.
- Add sour cream to sauce and mix well. Add prepared dumplings.
- Arrange chicken pieces on top. Heat for 5 minutes.
- For more gravy: add 1/2 pint of sweet cream to the sour cream.
- Note: For beef or veal paprikash, substitute 3 to 4 pounds boneless diced meat in place of chicken in recipe.