Recipe by I Cook Therefore I Am
I came up with this the first time I purchased an ahi tuna steak to make at home. For me, less is more when it comes to ahi because I really love the flavor of the fish. This recipe is super easy and it makes a great presentation over a baby spinach salad.
Top Review by sugarpea
The title of this recipe should read Easiest and BEST Ahi Tuna Ever. We followed the recipe exactly except we used the grill. The baby greens salad accompaniment is a wonderful suggestion. Wonderful.
- 8 ounces ahi tuna steaks, sushi grade
- 2 -3 tablespoons peppercorns, cracked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub the steak with one tbs of the olive oil.
- Put the peppercorns on a plate and press the tuna steak into the peppercorns until it is coated.
- Sprinkle the steak with salt to taste.
- Heat the other tbs of olive oil in a non-stick pan on medium high heat.
- Cook the steak 2-3 minutes per side.
- Slice the steak into 1/4" slices and serve over salad or rice.
- Note: If you do not care for raw or rare fish this recipe is not for you. Cooking a tuna steak for 2-3 minutes per side will leave the middle quite rare, and barely warm. You could cook the fish longer until it is well done, but then you would basically spending a lot of money on a cut of fish that is meant to be served rare or raw. (IMHO!).