Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I've always loved tacos but I think the assembling part can be a pain, especially if I'm making mine and the kids' because they were too small to make their own. Once I had taco salad this way, I never made tacos again! (Salsa pictured in my photo is Zesty Salsa for Canning) I have found that squeezing some lime juice over the prepared salad makes it even better! YUM!!
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) bag tortilla chips (plain, nacho or lime) or 1 (13 1/2 ounce) bag corn chips
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packageold el paso taco seasoning mix
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 bunch lettuce, shredded
- 1 tomatoes, chopped (optional)
- 1 onion, diced (optional)
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (2 1/2 ounce) can black olives, sliced (optional)
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 8 ounces sour cream (optional)
- Brown hamburger (I use the microwave) and drain.
- Add taco mix and water, mix.
- Heat thoroughly, about 2 minutes in the microwave, stirring once.
- Layer ingredients on each plate.
- I use the following order: chips (crunched up), meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, black olives, taco sauce and sour cream.
- Use whatever taco toppings you enjoy.
- Mix and eat.
Yum! This WAS easier than tacos, and I enjoyed it more. I served with baked Doritoes, which I definitely recommend. I also mixed the salsa and [light] sour cream to make a southwestern salad dressing. This will become a summer staple for us!
Great taco salad. I used lean ground turkey instead of ground beef, but otherwise followed the recipe.
This taco salad is delicious and easy. It is perfect on warm nights. Made as written except put into regular bowls and omitted black olives as my family doesn't like them. It was so healthy and fresh. The tortilla chips give it a crunch and a salty balance to the sweet tomatoes. I mixed the salsa and the sour cream to make a southwestern salsa like a previous reviewer. So good. Everyone ate it up. We love taco salad. Definitely adjust the toppings to what you like but go for it. Thanks Marg for posting! Enjoy! ChefDLH