Recipe by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
I've always loved tacos but I think the assembling part can be a pain, especially if I'm making mine and the kids' because they were too small to make their own. Once I had taco salad this way, I never made tacos again! (Salsa pictured in my photo is Zesty Salsa for Canning) I have found that squeezing some lime juice over the prepared salad makes it even better! YUM!!
Top Review by ceruleanseven
Yum! This WAS easier than tacos, and I enjoyed it more. I served with baked Doritoes, which I definitely recommend. I also mixed the salsa and [light] sour cream to make a southwestern salad dressing. This will become a summer staple for us!
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) bag tortilla chips (plain, nacho or lime) or 1 (13 1/2 ounce) bag corn chips
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packageold el paso taco seasoning mix
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 bunch lettuce, shredded
- 1 tomatoes, chopped (optional)
- 1 onion, diced (optional)
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (2 1/2 ounce) can black olives, sliced (optional)
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 8 ounces sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown hamburger (I use the microwave) and drain.
- Add taco mix and water, mix.
- Heat thoroughly, about 2 minutes in the microwave, stirring once.
- Layer ingredients on each plate.
- I use the following order: chips (crunched up), meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, black olives, taco sauce and sour cream.
- Use whatever taco toppings you enjoy.
- Mix and eat.