25 hrs 30 mins
From Cook's Illustrated Sep 10 issue. They stated: "A whole 4-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces, can be used instead of the chicken parts. Skinless chicken pieces are also an acceptable substitute, but the meat will come out slightly drier. A Dutch oven with an 11-inch diameter can be used in place of the straight-sided sauté pan." Prep time includes max marinating time
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- table salt
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 3 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 1/2 lbs chicken, bone-in, skin-on (breasts, thighs, and drumsticks, or a mix, with breasts cut in half)
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1Whisk 1 cup buttermilk, 1 tablespoon salt, hot sauce, 1 teaspoon black pepper, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon paprika, and pinch of cayenne together in large bowl.
- 2Add chicken and turn to coat. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- 3Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees.
- 4Whisk flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and remaining 2 teaspoons black pepper, ¾ teaspoon garlic powder, ¾ teaspoon paprika, and remaining cayenne together in large bowl.
- 5Add remaining ¼ cup buttermilk to flour mixture and mix with fingers until combined and small clumps form.
- 6Working with 1 piece at a time, dredge chicken pieces in flour mixture, pressing mixture onto pieces to form thick, even coating. Place dredged chicken on large plate, skin side up.
- 7Heat oil in 11-inch straight-sided sauté pan over medium-high heat to 375 degrees. Carefully place chicken pieces in pan, skin side down, and cook until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 8Carefully flip and continue to cook until golden brown on second side, 2 to 4 minutes longer.
- 9Transfer chicken to wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet. Bake chicken until instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of chicken registers 160 degrees for breasts and 175 for legs and thighs, 15 to 20 minutes. (Smaller pieces may cook faster than larger pieces.
- 10Remove pieces from oven as they reach -correct temperature.) Let chicken rest 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easier Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (636 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1629.8
- Calories from Fat 1198
- Total Fat 133.1 g
- Saturated Fat 23.3 g
- Cholesterol 184.1 mg
- Sodium 433.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 54.2 g