Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Easy, chocolate, gooey, Did I say EASY?
Make and share this Earthquake Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (18 ounce) package devil's food cake mix or 1 (18 ounce) package chocolate cake mix (any type you like, I use Duncan Hines)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water, to prepare cake
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil, to prepare cake
- 3 large eggs, to prepare cake
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans or english walnuts)
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened (I usually use low fat)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3⁄4 cup semisweet chocolate morsel
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9 pan.
- I use Pam cooking spray.
- Evenly sprinkle nuts and coconut on bottom of pan.
- In a large bowl prepare cake mix: Blend cake mix, water, oil and eggs at low speed for 30 seconds.
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter over nuts and coconut.
- In a separate bowl mix the cream cheese, butter confectioners sugar and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Drop by spoonfuls over batter, do not mix in Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 5o minutes.
We LOVE this recipe. I actually wanted to post this recipe but see that I was beat to it. This is a big hit with my hubby. He doesn't care for pecans, so I add mini chocolate chips instead and it turns out fine. What an easy cake to take on the road. Great picnic dessert. I do bake in a pan larger than 13X9 cause mine bakes out in a pan that size. That would be my only change. Delicious recipe and Thank you for posting !!
I didn't even get a piece, but everyone else loved it!!!!!11 My son wanted me to bake a chocolate cake. I hate baking, and I hate making frosting, but I wanted to make something more than a boring, unfrosted chocolate cake. I found your recipe, and I had everything except the coconut, which my husband won't eat. This got incredible raves from my family and also camping friends. It was gone so fast, I never even got to taste it.
I fixed this for houseguests, and had to send my printed off copy home with them. Need I say more? One note aside, either my pan was too small, or we should add a note to cover the bottom of the oven with foil (which I HAD done!)