I got this from a SW cookbook some time ago. It gets its name because the cake is cracked with crevices on top when done. If you love German chocolate cake, but hate the time consuming process,,,this cake is wonderful!! It reminds me of my grandma's 3 layer German chocolate cake. It's too rich for just the two of us, so hubby looks forward to family gatherings and holidays or his birthday, smile. I love this because I love cream cheese and German chocolate and the fact that it is super easy!
- 1 (18 ounce) German chocolate cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water (or as called for by the cake mix directions)
- 3 eggs (or as called for by the cake mix directions)
- 1⁄2 cup oil (or as called for by the cake mix directions)
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- spray 9x13" pan with oil and set oven to 350°F.
- spread the coconut and pecan pieces evenly on the bottom of pan.
- prepare the cake mix according to directions on box, and pour over coconut and pecan pieces
- mix well together: margarine, cream cheese, vanilla and powered sugar.
- spoon over cake in dollops, no need to spread evenly.
- bake for approx 40-50 minutes.
- check with toothpick for doneness.
- cake will be cracked on top, but should be a moist cake.