A sweet, summer corn chowder from the Earthbound Farm Cookbook.
Make and share this Earthbound Farm Corn Chowder recipe from Food.com.
- 4 cups corn kernels, fresh or 4 cups corn kernels, frozen
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon, cut in 1/4 inch dice
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 2 celery ribs, minced
- 5 cups chicken broth or 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 cups yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp (5-10 minutes) then drain on paper towels.
- Add the onion and celery to the fat and cook until they are soft for 10 minutes.
- Add stock, bay leaf, potatoes and thyme to the saucepan and boil over high heat. Reduce and let simmer for 20 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Cover and turn off heat. Leave on stove for 20 minutes then discard the bay leaf and thyme sprig. Add the bacon, corn and half-and half. (You can remove 2 cups of the chowder and puree it in a blender and then add that back to the chowder for a thicker consistency).
- Season with salt and pepper.