Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a European-style torte (richer and less sweet than American cakes) that is made with potatoes. I haven't made this one yet, but it sounds so interesting to me that I don't want to forget about this recipe. From Vegetarian Times. The prep time doesn't include time for baking the potato.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Butter and flour an 8 1/2" springform pan or a 9" round cake pan.
- Peel baked potato while still hot (protect your hands with oven mitts) and put in a food processor.
- Add 1 cup sugar, pecans, cinnamon, and cloves; process 30 seconds or until uniform in color.
- Place mixture in a bowl.
- Separate 3 eggs.
- Reserve the whites and add the 3 yolks plus the one whole egg to potato mixture; beat until smooth.
- Place whites in a separate bowl.
- With an electric mixer on high, beat until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add in the rest of the sugar, beating until glossy peaks form (or about 4 minutes).
- Don't overbeat.
- Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into potato mixture until lightened.
- Fold in the rest of the whites until no white streaks remain.
- Pour batter into pan and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Spread preserves on top and garnish with raspberries and mint.