1 hr 15 mins
Vino Girl's Note:
This is a European-style torte (richer and less sweet than American cakes) that is made with potatoes. I haven't made this one yet, but it sounds so interesting to me that I don't want to forget about this recipe. From Vegetarian Times. The prep time doesn't include time for baking the potato.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Butter and flour an 8 1/2" springform pan or a 9" round cake pan.
- 3Peel baked potato while still hot (protect your hands with oven mitts) and put in a food processor.
- 4Add 1 cup sugar, pecans, cinnamon, and cloves; process 30 seconds or until uniform in color.
- 5Place mixture in a bowl.
- 6Separate 3 eggs.
- 7Reserve the whites and add the 3 yolks plus the one whole egg to potato mixture; beat until smooth.
- 8Place whites in a separate bowl.
- 9With an electric mixer on high, beat until soft peaks form.
- 10Gradually add in the rest of the sugar, beating until glossy peaks form (or about 4 minutes).
- 11Don't overbeat.
- 12Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into potato mixture until lightened.
- 13Fold in the rest of the whites until no white streaks remain.
- 14Pour batter into pan and place on baking sheet.
- 15Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 16Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- 17Spread preserves on top and garnish with raspberries and mint.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Earth Apple Torte
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 261.9
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 70.5 mg
- Sodium 27.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 30.1 g
- Protein 3.8 g