Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
A great soup for spring or early summer. Try to buy one of the large bunches of basil with a heady scent and pungent, peppery leaves.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb young leek, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1 bunch extra fresh basil leaf, plus
- extra fresh basil leaf, to garnish
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream, plus
- extra heavy cream, to serve
- salt and pepper
- Heat the butter in a large pan, add the leeks and celery, cover, and sweat for 5-10 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove the lid, add the stock and lemon zest and juice.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add the basil, and blend in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Chill for 1 hour.
- Stir in the cream and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Serve chilled, with a generous swirl of cream, and garnish with basil leaves.