Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
My Aunt Lottie (God rest her soul) liked to bake this. She was never able to have children but loved children to bits. She always baked this cake when she knew we were coming and always had a bowl of mints on the table to nibble any time.
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups apples, coursely grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel, grated
- 2⁄3 cup chopped english walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a loaf pan by greasing the pan and lining the bottom with paper. Cream shortening, sugar, and eggs. Sift dry ingredients together and add these alternately with the apples to the creamed mixture. Stir in lemon peel and nuts. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for one hour or until pricked with a knife and doneness is determined. Cool in pan 5-10 minutes, then remove bread and cool on rack. Do not slice until completely cool.
- Depending on how large or small you slice servings will vary.