Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
These are a treasure! I find them at farmers' markets in the early summer. This recipe is my favorite preparation, steamed and simple. I serve them as a warm side dish, but I always cook extra so I have leftovers in the refrigerator for cold snacks and salads. They have the texture of green beans with a light and fresh garlic flavor. Alternative preparations include sauted in olive oil or added to soups and stews.
- 1 lb early garlic greens
- salt and pepper
- Trim garlic greens by cutting the top (pointy end) to within 1/2" of bud. There will be 6"-8" of green below bud.
- Greens may be cut into any preferred length as you would with green beans. (I like to leave them long because they are beautiful and fun.).
- Steam in steamer basket over boiling water approximately 8 minutes. Time may vary depending on size of green, so test at 5 minutes and adjust time accordingly.
- Remove from steamer and place in serving bowl.
- Toss with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm or cold.
This is soo good!