Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is good as is or topped with a caramel or cream cheese frosting.
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9" X 13" pan.
- Cream shortening and gradually add sugar beating until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs all at one time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together flour, soda, salt and spices.
- Add alternately with buttermilk, blend well after each addition.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until done.
I found the recipe to be delicious. I made cupcakes, and pu a milk chocolate frosting on them.
I agree the flavour was excellent but it was a dry cake, not moist, followed the instructions to the letter. Recipe #15980 by Mini R. is moist but this cake has a deeper spice flavour, I am going to try and modify this recipe to see if I can get the flavour of. this cake and the moistness of Mini R's wonderful recipe. It's worth keeping this recipe and adjusting to create a moister cake ! My family still really enjoyed it so I gave it 4 stars, I myself would give it 3 stars as it was a dry cake. I iced it with #26442 Allspice Cream Cheese Icing which was excellent with this type of cake !
I loved the taste of this cake, but it was actually quite dry. I followed the recipe to the letter. I'm torn whether I will chance it again... the flavor is excellent, but I really prefer a moister cake.