Earl's Restaurant in Canada makes the most amazing Kung Pao - it's on their menu as chicken, but I had it made vegetarian, and wow, is it fantastic! Make it however you like... at Earl's, you order by the number of peppers... 1 for mild, 6 for scorching... I like 6! *Note* The peppers are not eaten, they're cooked in the sauce, and then removed. Passed along to my by a friend who I ate there with... she mentions that if you cannot find the peppers, you can sub them with 2 tsp chili paste and 1 1/2 tsp chili flakes (to taste.)
- 8 ounces tofu or 8 ounces chicken breasts, cubed into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar or 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar or 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups vegetables, chopped (broccoli, snow peas, carrots, peppers, etc)
- 375 g pasta (whole wheat or white) or 375 g noodles (dry)
- 2 -8 small dried red chili peppers
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon szechuan peppercorn (optional)
- 4 tablespoons oil, for stir frying
- 1⁄2 cup salted peanuts or 1⁄2 cup cashews
- 3 drops sesame oil
- Mix together the marinade, adding the cornstarch last, and whisking well until there are no lumps.
- Cut the tofu or chicken into 1-inch cubes. Combine with the marinade ingredients. Marinate ½ - 1 hour.
- While the tofu or chicken is marinating, prepare the sauce and vegetables. Set aside.
- Heat wok over medium-high to high heat. Add 2 tbsp oil. When oil is hot, add tofu or chicken and marinade. Stir-fry until chicken is cooked or tofu is browned. Remove from the wok and set aside. Stir fry vegetables until tender crisp, and set aside.
- Cook whole wheat pasta until al dente. Drain.
- Add 2 tbsp oil to wok. When hot, add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry until aromatic (about 30 seconds). Add the sauce, chili paste and hot pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Add cooked tofu or chicken, vegetables, green onions and nuts. Stir until hot. Remove from heat and add few drops of sesame oil.
- Add sauce, vegetables, and chicken to pasta and toss. Garnish with extra nuts.