Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
An excellent thick creamy clam chowder. This recipe is my gluten free version of the recipe used at Earl's restaurant.
- 1 lb bacon, diced (GF)
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 5 large potatoes, peeled, diced and cooked
- 3 (14 ounce) cans clams, drained (reserve juice)
- In a large frying pan over medium high heat, cook the bacon. When the bacon is almost crispy, add the onion, celery, carrots, tomatoes and spices.
- Lower the heat and cover, sweating until the carrots are soft.
- In a large saucepan, melt the margarine over medium heat.
- Add the starch and whisk.
- Add the vegetable stock, then the half and half, then the clam juice. Add bacon/vegetable mix.
- Heat to almost boiling, then cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the clams and the cooked potatoes. Simmer just until heated thoroughly.