Recipe by CarbFiend
(Time does not inlcude steeping time for tea) Everyone I've made these for raves about the unique taste. They are so good you don't even need to put anything on them! This recipe came from "The Ultimate Muffin Book", which has tons of other delicious recipes. One note: the recipe calls for oat flour, which I couldn't find, so I used whole wheat flour and they came out fantastic.
Top Review by Kittehchef
Thank you for posting this! We love a good Earl Grey baked item at our house! ;) I didn't have the yogurt so I used coconut milk (light) and they came out just fine. These are so good they don't even need anything slathered on them.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons loose earl grey tea leaves or 6 earl grey tea bags
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup oat flour (i used whole wheat flour)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, at room temp
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt (regular or low-fat, but not nonfat)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the milk in over medium heat in a small saucepan until small bubbles form around the pan's rim- do not boil.
- Remove from heat, stir in tea leaves or submerge the teabags in the warm milk. Cover and set aside for 45 minutes to steep.
- Preheat oven to 400*F and prepare muffin pans.
- Combine all-purpose flour, oat flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl until well mixed. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat the egg with a whisk, then whisk in the melted butter, yogurt, and honey until blended. If using loose tea, strain the milk into the bowl, using a fine-mesh strainer. If using tea bags, discard them, then pour the milk into the egg mixture. Stir well with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until moistened.
- Fill the prepared tins 3/4 full and bake for 25 minutes or until muffins are lightly brown, with rounded, cracked tops.
- Cool the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove the muffins and let them cool another 5 minutes.