Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the Montreal Gazette.
Make and share this Earl Grey Poached Pears With Brown Basmati Rice Pudding recipe from Food.com.
- 4 teaspoons earl grey tea
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 3⁄4 lbs assorted plums, halved and pitted
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- Combine water and tea in a small container. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Strain the tea and throw out tea leaves.
- Combine the liquid, sugar, peppercorns in a large pot and bring to a boil, before simmering. Slip in the plums, making sure they are snuggled in a single layer. Cook for 30 minutes, or until the plums are tender, but not falling apart.
- Remove from heat, and let cool until syrup forms, carefully removing the peppercorns.
- Soak the rice for 1 hour in cold water, and then drain. Combine with 2 cups water in a large, deep pot and bring to a boil, covering the a lid. Turn the heat on low and let it simmer until just tender (it's okay if there is still some water).
- Add the milk, maple syrop and sea salt, stirring frequently until thickened and smooth, about 30-45 minutes. The mixture should be a little thinner than what you should expect rice pudding to be, as it will thicken as it cools.
- Transfer into a shallow dish and serve it at room temperature with the pears.