Recipe by ilovecookies
I received an advanced copy of the new cookbook, "Desserts That Have Killed Better Men Than Me" which inspired me to have a dessert/ slumber party last weekend with my girlfriends. We drank wine, did facials, watched movies, and tested as many of the desserts from this book as we could. This was one of my personal favourites, as I adore anything apple. Don't be put off by the prunes; they add a deep, rich, plum flavour to the sauce. Smashing with vanilla ice cream. (Times are estimates).
- 1 earl grey tea bag
- 1 1⁄2 lbs apples (4 medium)
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean
- 8 prunes, pitted and chopped
- 1 pinch of grated lemon, zest of
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 pinch clove
- fresh lemon juice, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour 1/3 cup boiling water over teabag in small cup and let steep for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel, core, and wedge apples.
- Combine apples and tea in a medium saucepan, discarding bag.
- Split vanilla bean pod and scrape seeds into pan.
- Add bean pod.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add prunes and lemon zest and cook at a moderate simmer for 10 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- (Remove from heat when apples are starting to break up and are soft enough to be mashed.) Remove vanilla bean.
- Mash apples with potato masher to whatever consistency you prefer.
- Stir in sugar, cloves, and lemon juice, if desired, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Serve at any temperature desired.