Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a recipe I clipped from a local newspaper a number of years ago. This cake was very popular in the community and the food column in the paper would get requests for this recipe. A good spice cake!
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup raisins, plumped
- 1⁄2 cup toasted chopped walnuts
- 1 cup soured milk or 1 cup buttermilk
- In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy; add beaten eggs and vanilla mixing well.
- Sift together flour, soda, baking powder, salt and spices. Add raisins and nuts and toss to coat.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, adding alternately with sour milk. Beat mixture thoroughly.
- Bake in a well greased and floured 9 inch square pan in 350 F oven for 50-60 minutes or till tests done. Cool and frost with your favourite butter icing.