Recipe by Aroostook
A beginner's recipe.
Top Review by Jewel Goodwin
This was fantastic! I had never roasted a chicken before, and this was really can't-go-wrong...sooooo moist and tasty!! I threw a couple of potatoes in the pot to soak up the butter and juices, and that saved having to make rice...the potatoes also soaked up the sage flavour. Very good. I always thought it would be hard to roast a chicken, but this was easy and fast! Thanx ever so much :)
- 2 1⁄2-5 lbs chicken
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion, halved
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Remove giblets/neck from chicken cavities.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Rub softened butter all over chicken.
- Sprinkle outside of chicken with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp of sage inside the chicken.
- Place onion inside chicken.
- Place chicken in roasting pan breast side up.
- Add 1/2 cup water to pan.
- Loosely tent breast with aluminum foil.
- Cook for 25 minutes per pound.
- (3 lbs= approx 1 1/2 hours; 5 lbs= approx 2 1/2 hours).
- Remove chicken to a warm platter and let rest for 15 min to distribute the juices.