Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
My husband is from south Louisiana and I've had to learn to cook Cajun/Creole recipes. This is our quick take on red beans & rice.
- 3 (1275.72 g) can red beans, do not drain (I buy the New Orleans Style beans)
- 453.59 g smoked sausage, sliced
- 59.16 ml butter
- 2.46 ml white pepper
- 4.92 ml cajun seasoning (I use Tony Chachere's)
- 1.23 ml paprika
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 1.23 ml liquid smoke (optional depending on how smokey your sausage is)
- 354.88 ml white rice
- 709.77 ml water
- 4.92 ml garlic salt
- 29.58 ml butter
- Bring water to boil, add remaining ingredients and cook on medium low for 20 minutes.
- Melt butter, lightly brown sausage.
- Add remaining ingredients. Simmer on medium low while cooking rice.
This is delicious! Great flavor with a mild spicy after taste. Made as written with the exception of adding 1 medium diced onion and only 1/4 tsp. white pepper. In the rice I used garlic powder. All together easy and quick filling meal. *Made for Spring 2009 PAC* Thanks!