Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
My husband is from south Louisiana and I've had to learn to cook Cajun/Creole recipes. This is our quick take on red beans & rice.
- 3 (15 ounce) cans red beans, do not drain (I buy the New Orleans Style beans)
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning (I use Tony Chachere's)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional depending on how smokey your sausage is)
- 1 1⁄2 cups white rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Bring water to boil, add remaining ingredients and cook on medium low for 20 minutes.
- Melt butter, lightly brown sausage.
- Add remaining ingredients. Simmer on medium low while cooking rice.
This is delicious! Great flavor with a mild spicy after taste. Made as written with the exception of adding 1 medium diced onion and only 1/4 tsp. white pepper. In the rice I used garlic powder. All together easy and quick filling meal. *Made for Spring 2009 PAC* Thanks!