Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A simple little cake that keeps well. Serve with berries and cream if you want a fancier dessert. I like it best on its own with a cup of hot tea.
- 1⁄2 lb real butter (1 c.)
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Butter and flour 1 loaf pan.
- Cream butter and slowly add sugar.
- Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add egg one at a time and beat well each time.
- Stir in flour and rest of dry ingredients.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake 1 1/2 hours.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out unto a baking rack.
- Serve in very thin slices.
I made this last night specifically to use with some fresh strawberries I had just gotten. It was wonderful. I am definately not the aficianado on baking though-- i have no idea what mace is, and I knew I didn't have any, so I just left it out, and it still came out perfectly. I will definately keep this receipe and use it again. Next time I will make sure to use the mace, and see if it comes out differently. Thanks for posting.
Just got done making this excellent i did sub. 1/2teaspoon of cinnimon cause i didnt have the mace turned out very good
Excellent and wonderful taste. Left out the mace.