Prep 2 mins
Cook 8 mins
The vinegar keeps the egg whites intact and seasons them with its salty flavor.
- 2 large eggs, cracked,placed in a small shallow bowl at room temperature
- 1 pint hot water, in a shallow pan
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter
- 2 pieces toast
- Toast bread medium dark.
- Heat water and vinegar until simmering.
- Slide eggs into hot water.
- Simmer and baste until opaque but yolks still soft.
- Remove with slotted spoon and place eggs on toast.
- Sprinkle with pepper and dot eggs w/butter.
- Serve hot.
This is an excellent poached egg recipe. It looks better with white pepper. The instant cheese sauce in markets makes a great topping for these eggs. LR Beckwith
The vinegar was the right ingredient to season and keep firm.
I scaled this back for 1 egg but only used a teaspoon of white vinegar as I find much more tends to impart the vinegar flavour into the eggs and served on a slice of buttered wholemeal/wholegrain toasted bread. Thank you Aroostook, made for All You Can Cook Buffet.