Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Fast pea soup with really excellent flavor made with canned peas and kraut. A family favorite, for nearly 4 decades. I personally use gluten-free flour.
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 3 -4 slices bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 45 ounces canned peas
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (or more)
- 1⁄2 cup sauerkraut, drained & chopped (or more)
- 1 tablespoon sour cream, when serving (optional)
- Saute the onions and chopped bacon with the butter (for flavor) in a soup pot, until the onions are transparent.
- Thicken with flour.
- Add beef stock.
- Drain one of the 3 cans of peas, discarding that liquid. Keeping the liquid from the other 2 cans of peas. Put each can of peas, one at a time into a blender to puree.
- Add pureed peas to the soup pot.
- Add salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add chopped kraut.
- Heat through about 5 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, (opt).