This is so tasty, it is addictive. I use it on broiled steaks, broiled pork chops, salads, cottage cheese or vanilla ice cream. It is hot and smoky but, can be made less intense in pepper heat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons dark brown sugar (I use Splenda Blend Brown Sugar)
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark rum (can substitute a lessor amount of rum extract)
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup chipotle chile in adobo, finely chopped
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 cups marionberry jam (I use preserves with no sugar added or you can use the Costco brand with sugar)
- 1In large saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar, molasses, Worcestershire, rum, mustard, chili powder, pepper, garlic powder, allspice and cloves.
- 2Bring to simmer over medium heat. Cook, uncovered, until all ingredients are dissolved, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes.
- 3Stir in ketchup and bring to boil, stirring constantly.
- 4Add salt to taste.
- 5Reduce heat slightly, add raspberry jam and 1/4 cup chipotles** and gently simmer sauce, uncovered, until dark and thick, about 30 minutes, stirring often.
- 6Use right away or transfer to jars, cover, cool to room temperature and then refrigerate. Sauce will keep several months.
- 7Makes 5 cups or 20 servings.
- 9** Add the chipotle peppers to taste. Since simmering will bring out the heat in the peppers, start by adding 1/4 cup of chipotles and cook for 30 minutes THEN taste again and add additional peppers if you like it REALLY HOT.
- 10As with any recipe you can vary many of the ingredients to taste. Some items that you might want adjusting are the amount of allspice, and/or cloves or the type of preserves. Marion berry, blackberry, raspberry, strawberry, or blueberry, etc.
Browse Our Top Sweet Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dyna's Marionberry-Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 151.9
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 324.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 28.1 g
- Protein 0.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo